For some reason, for the last few weeks , I have been thinking a lot about my grandparents. I think it might be because a few weeks ago at church we sang, "As I Have Loved You." This is a song that we sang at my grandpa's funeral when we were very little. I remember going across the street to Sister Powell's house to practice so we would be able to sing it just right at the funeral. We were so little, I was only eight years old. And I wore a cute little pink suit that my grandma had given me. It was around Valentine's day that he died and my mom had us make Grandpa Valentine's that we put with him in his casket.
Then just a couple years later my grandma died. I remember that we went to the viewing and I reached out and touched her hand and started crying.
When we used to drive out to Salt Lake City to go visit them at their house, we would look for potatoe bugs under the plants in their front yard and put them in Grandpa's old coffee cans. They had raspberries in their back yard, by a big concrete wall and raspberries always remind me of their house. Grandma had a pink bathroom that always smelled like rose perfume and she had little avon lipstick samples that I would like to try on.
My mom was just a little older than me when both her parents died. It makes me so sad that she has had to be without her parents for so long. And that we had to miss out on having grandparents.
I am so thankful that we live close to my parents and to Scott's parents so our kids can have memories with their grandparents. Last night Nana (Scott's mom) came over for dinner. I told the girls that she was coming and Ruby said, "But what about Papa?" I told her that Papa couldn't come and she said, "Oh, but he will be so sad!" They love all their grandparents and are always so excited to see them and play with them. It is fun for Scott and I to see our parents with our children. How fun it is to have them be part of our lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment